Wednesday 27 May 2020

Working on something

I am working on something quite interesting, to me at least, it is taking longer to create than I thought but I am integrating quite a few skills, some new and some just trying to remember. 

  • Panda with csv
  • GUI work with PySimpleGui - hopefully looking to do some (for me) complex stuff
  • Encrypting and decoding password to use in 
  • Connecting to Oracle Database 
  • Using stored SQL files to implement change requests. 
This has always been a problem wherever I have worked. Creating a simple and easy way to release scripts to the databases without everyone knowing the username and passwords of all the schemas and constantly switching schemas to run different things in different places. 

I am hoping that the finished "product" will handle anything that I through at it, in terms of implementation scripts, but also help with error capturing and logging and who knows perhaps it could be a first step to opening some eyes as to the power of python. 

I have started to build the GUI which is, initially at least, to enter the database team (different teams may store change requests in different places) and to enter in the change request number. These variables will feed into the actual program which has mostly been written. 

The program, in under 100 lines of code, finds a config file for the change request, follows the instructions in said file to deploy the sql files. It connects to the DB as the required user, deploys the code, captures the commands being run and exits. 

Still some error handling and be good to get some large scale testing, all been very simple so far. Need to do some more logging as well, and allowing the process to crash out and have a pop-up if the process errors. 

Anyways, I am hoping to post a first draft of the code at the weekend some time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment