Saturday 20 July 2019

Date Warehouse Stuff

Ok so I have not posted on here in a long time, going back through my old posts I remember how great python is and think it is crazy I barely use it anymore, think I need an excuse to get back into it. 

Why haven't I been using it? Well my job has changed significantly since then and I don't have access to python at work and no access to office at home (will investigate if similar tools exist for some free office tools as that would be great). My job now is almost solely about Data Warehousing and ETL development in an Oracle environment. 

This is probably the area where I have the greatest experience and it is something I want to build on further, nothing like testing your knowledge of something by blogging about it and having a few home projects. Ideally I would like to get python and Oracle playing nicely and develop my own little ETL suite in python and PL/SQL. If I can create something generic and for the fun of it then maybe it will have practical implications. 

Quite what I am going to create the data warehouse on I don't know, maybe something linked to running as I am also a running coach. Seems like a good link and I am sure there must be some accessible data out there on running, just not sure what my facts and dimensions would be. 

Anyways, I think this will give me a great excuse to get python up and running again at home and also get me back into blogging about techy stuff. I am in a position at the moment where I really enjoy the work I am going but you never know where thing will be in a few years time. 

That's all for now and maybe this post will get my moving again. Though with life being busy this will certainly be a slow and steady project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment