Saturday 4 September 2021

Automation Stuff

Most of my automation work recently has been creating a standard template in Excel that saves on time and human error when producing meta data into the standard ETL engine for our enterprise data warehouse. 

On this project I have, mainly through stackoverflow, developed a couple of macros that have made my life much easier and some crazy formulas to contain the logic to determine the correct template to use. The most important thing is that the end result is a template that can be used by 20+ people in the team and regularly save them time and provide consistency in the scripts provided to the deployment team. 

As much as I have really enjoyed getting my eye back into VBA and on a project that has had lots of positive feedback I still think that there are better ways forwards in general. I have been looking into python again and wanted to see what libraries are out there since I last used it in anger. Honestly most of the recommended ones have not changed however it was still a good reminder as to what is out there, even if most are not suitable for any use case I have. 

I found the following article very interesting in terms of looking at what is available for performing ETL functions within python. 


https://www.xplenty.com/blog/comparison-of-the-top-python-etl-tools/



No comments:

Post a Comment